Friday, November 16, 2012

In Search of Grey Ghosts

Steelheading is not a game of constant fish-catching action.

I get that. You get that. Etc.

That being said, progress is being made.

A tasty tailout on a local stream... no Grey Ghosts in sight though.

I'm simply trying to spend more time on the water when conditions are good. Sure, it's between seasons here in SW Washington but you can't catch steel without having a line in the water.

So I find myself out on local waters a few times a week, swinging proven patterns, in tasty looking water, hoping that a grey ghost decides to greet me with a feisty tug. Soon enough, it will happen.

Hopefully that tug will come tomorrow on the Klickitat... I'm pretty certain my one thousandth cast is near!




2 comments:

  1. Good Luck, I recently moved to Spokane and am enjoying your Blog. I am in a similar life situation to when you started your blog. I am planning on Fishing the Grand Ron in the next few weeks if all goes well. So till then I will continue to live vicariously through you. Enjoy chasing your Ghost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I'm planning to do a video tutorial on nymphing big water soon (hint... focus on the Spokane). Should be helpful. I sure hope you've been exploring my favorite river in my absence.

    The steelhead game can certainly get you down, but I try to just enjoy the experience... even when I can't feel my fingers and I'm dripping wet. Today on the Klickitat we didn't get into any Steelhead but I sure got some great casting practice. It was my 10th time out spey casting and my casts went from 50' consistently to nearly 75' on every throw with accuracy to boot!

    Get out, fish, and keep reading the blog. I appreciate the support!

    -Ty

    ReplyDelete