Sunday, December 9, 2012

Double Nymphers... you must try this!



I love to fish with double nymph rigs. That dang Spokane River has made me into a nymphing machine... but I was always frustrated at how quickly my leaders would get ruined because of Thingamabobbers kinking and fraying my line.

The video above (from Red's Fly Shop) solved my problems. They are sharing this great solution to making easy adjustments to your depth while taking better care of your leader...

It's really simple. Use some old fly line material (the running line or rear portion) and nail knot the fly line to the leader... Kinda unorthodox, but it works great!

I attached my leader, loop to loop, to my fly line first, and then nail knot tied the fly line onto the leader via the thinner tippet end of the leader. I found this much easier to execute versus putting the looped end of the leader into my nail knot tool. The video will tell you to do otherwise (and if you are using a leader that is not pre-looped, than by all means, do it that way) but I prefer nail knotting the tippet end and running the nail knot up the leader before tightening.

After nail knot tying one piece of fly line onto the leader (and moving it up to the butt section of the leader before tightening it all the way, you then slidw\e a thingamabobber onto the line by threading the leader straight through the metal grommet on the indicator.

Then, you repeat the first step of nail knotting a section of old fly line to the leader, moving it up to the butt section of the leader before tightening it all the way.

The end result is an easy to slide and adjust indicator system that doesn't fray or kink your leader up in the manner that a standard application thingamabobber does.

I used this method recently on the lower Deschutes and I can say with certainty that I will be using it again! I loved being able to change depth quickly and not ruining leader or adding on more tippet material.

It's very convenient for those frigid days when undoing and reattaching thingamabobbers become a genuine pain. Saving time and material? Winner!

Thanks Red's!

No comments:

Post a Comment