Saturday, July 7, 2012

Montana Trip Recap

This past Tuesday afternoon, Wayne "Trout Jedi" Jordan and I embarked on two days and nights of camping and fly fishing in the Missoula area of Montana. We planned to fish for sure on a few rivers and would "wing it" according to water flows, fishing pressure, etc if our destined waters were not fishing well.

We hit a few big name waters, some relatively unknown creeks, and a few quiet but excellent rivers. 

I had a few goals before the trip...
1. Catch my first Bull trout. A must.
2. Catch a big Brown.
3. Drink good beer.
4. Catch all the available gamefish/trout species on the waters that we fish... nearly improbable but a good ultimate goal.
5. Work on my dry fly game... ie. Reach cast effectively, stalk fish, and make my first cast count.

In the end, I accomplished four out of five goals. Only number two eluded me, but I hooked a MASSIVE Bull trout on the ******************* River that took me to my backing before coming unhooked. That one still grinds my gears. Oh well...

PMDs, Caddis, and Drakes up top seemed to be the main meal tickets, and my self tied Z-wing Caddis Pupae was a winner nymphing. Wayne of course caught fish in all manners, and he even enticed a fish to a purple/glitter Chubby Chernobyl dry fly... and it wasn't just any fish, it was an 18" Westslope Cutthroat. Not your average Cutty!

Enough text for this post though. How about some pictures?! Wayne took the shots of my fish and I threw a couple of Wayne's victory photos in for good measure as well.

Rock Creek, Montana.


Rock Creek Brook Trout. Small guy, dry fly. Only Brookie of the trip.


Wayne's Big Cutthroat.



Hello Cutty. How was that Chernobyl pattern?


Biggest Cutthroat to date for me. Just shy of 19". Great fish.



Close-up.

My first ever Bull trout. Small but native and gorgeous.


Dry fly stalking Cutthroat. Always fun.


Feisty Montana Cut-bow.


Riverside refreshments. Critical to a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment