Monday, July 9, 2012

The Waterworks-Lamson Warranty Service Review

After busting up my Lamson Konic 2.0 reel a few weeks back on the Thompson River, I mailed it to the fine folks at The Waterworks-Lamson in Boise, ID for warranty service. I mailed it in on a Thursday and received it back a week and a half later.

Because the reel was a cast aluminum reel, and the damage done was of my doing (falling hard on a big rock!), I was worried that I would not be covered by the warranty program. I took a huge crack out of the spool and broke the clutch mechanism that held the spool tightly to the frame.

Lamson guarantees their reels from workmanship defects for the lifetime of the reel for the original purchaser. Despite my skepticism, Lamson warranty representative Tim told me to send the reel in (along with a $20 warranty service fee). I was concerned that not only did I send Lamson my reel and $20, but I also may not get a fixed reel back due to the damage being my fault.

I'm happy to report that my reel, upon returning home, was good as new. Lamson replaced the broken spool and fixed the clutch/locking mechanism. Lamson also retuned the drag (it's smoother than ever!).

Lamson is known for their wonderful service and I will not doubt it again. I'll probably be a Lamson customer for life, but I will likely buy a fully machined Lamson (like my Guru 1.5) the next time that I'm in the market for a reel. I love the value of the Konic, and appreciate it's precise tolerances and smooth drag, but the extra durability, better finish, and even smoother/lighter properties of a machined reel are hard to ignore.

Thanks Lamson for the great service, amazing product, and quick warranty repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment