Sunday, March 10, 2013

Gear Review: Redington Sonic-Pro Zip Front Waders

Okay, I admit that I was inspired to write this post by this doozy of a gear review here.

I have some thoughts and opinions on a pair of waders that they didn't review, and I've been contemplating writing this review for awhile. The waders that I'll be reviewing today are the Redington Sonic-Pro Zip Front Waders.

I've owned and used Redington Sonic-Pro waders for well over a year now. I started with the non-zip model and abused those as best I could before recently upgrading to the zip front model a few months ago. Both waders are of good quality and I can't deny the performance to price ratio is quite good.


The zip front Sonic-Pro's feature four and three layer sections (lower and upper) of DWR finished material that is reasonably breathable. Considering it's not premier GoreTex branded material, I think it holds up (I am ROUGH on my gear) and breathes great. No complaints in that department.

The main selling point on these waders are the lack of stitching as the waders are welded together at the seams with sound technology... hence the name Sonic-Pro. I've had NO leaks in my waders on any of the welded seams. This technology (patented by Orvis) is truly legitimate.

The zip front feature, made possible by a fantastic RiRi Storm waterproof zipper, is a God send on cold days spent winter steelheading. I love this feature and after owning a zip front wader, It'd be hard to go back. No leaks thus far, and no complaints from me.

In terms of storage, the zip front model is lacking a bit. Unlike the non-zip Sonic-Pro, there is storage pouch. Instead, you have a small pocket on the inside (I keep my fishing license and slim wallet in there) and four pockets on the outside. Two of those outer pockets are water resistant and have decent capacity for small fly boxes and the other two are fleece lined (barely so) to help warm your hands. I prefer the storage in the non-zip model, hands down.


My biggest gripe with Redington Sonic-Pro waders occur in the lower section of the waders. The neoprene boot fit is not exactly ergonomic... In fact, I think it is downright poor. I think the bootie is oversized and I don't find the fit to be comfortable at all.


In my case, a same sized Simms wader has smaller, more ergonomic (read comfortable) neoprene booties. I have also seen my last pair of Sonic-Pro waders fail at the seams in the boot section. For a $400 wader, I expect better in this critical section of the wader.

The other main gripe I have is in the lace-holder/grip that Redington uses. It is a small plastic clip that does not fit well onto most wading boots. As a result, my gravel guards tend to slide up my boots as I bushwhack to fishing holes. It's a nice looking touch that is not terribly functional on the water.


Redington makes some great fly rods for the money (I love my Torrent and CPS fly rods) and their apparel is fantastic in both quality and value. The warranty service from Redington is top notch and their waders are covered by a one-year limited warranty. They will take good care of you, as they did me with my neoprene seam failure on my old Sonic-Pros.

Final Verdict: (Skinny Waders Rating: 7/10) 
For me, the Sonic-Pro waders are a bit of an enigma. I love the features and value ($299 for non-zip and $399 for the zip-front models) but I'm frustrated by the poor neoprene boot fit and construction. Comfort is important to me and the boot fit really hampers my fishing experience.

This is a wader that I'd try on before buying... if the fit is great, I think they'd be a wonderful option for most any angler. For the avid hike-in angler or someone who has specific fit requirements, I'd look at other options first.

No comments:

Post a Comment