Thursday, March 28, 2013

Let the Preparations Begin...

It's almost here... my first trip north of the border in well over a decade.

The hotel is booked, my enhanced "border-crossing" drivers license has been procured, the guide has confirmed our date, and I've become a sort of Wiki expert on our target watershed and town.

Steelhead are on my brain... constantly.

The idea of a fresh-from-the-salt wild Steelhead grabbing my newly tied Prawn pattern and screaming down river has me absolutely rocked with excitement.


The river we will be fishing is BIG water... I've been practicing by fishing some of our larger rivers nearby and chucking heavy tips and bugs.

My fly box is getting stocked up as I spend hours on the vise after most work days. Prawn patterns, intruders, marabou tubes...


It makes me wonder if spending so much time and money on materials would be better spent on buying commercially tied spey patterns, but the enjoyment of creating something keeps me coming back...

It's time for bed now, but rest assured I will be dreaming of my line coming tight on the lower river in BC. A vicious grab, then head shakes, and a brutal run. My Hardy screaming along with me as I run downriver, whatever happens next be damned, I just want that grab.

Two more weeks. Two more weeks. Two more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment