Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Gravel Jail...

Nothing like a crazy work week to get the "I need to fish" sentiment roiling. Heck, I don't need work to be crazy to make me want to fish badly, but it sure does amplify the thought process.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours of my day on the water before work meetings in the evening. After a 70+ hour work week, it was a welcome respite.

The river in question is on the South Olympic Peninsula and last time I fished it, we hooked and landed Steelhead within minutes of hitting the water... on the fly of course!



This time, we were being "guided" by a local friend who took us in his sled to several different runs. These runs were prime water, each with pocket-like stretches, glade like runs, and structure that screamed metalheads are here...

The whole set up was dynamite... except that the money water was not so productive that day. As my friends worked up and down river from me with gear rigs, I swung to my hearts content through the run... over and over again. Switching out flies, tips, methods, etc. No dice. I'm fairly certain that even me, a spey novice, would have hooked a fish should they have been in the hole that I was fishing.

My friends eventually came back to pick me up and take me back to the launching point. They, of course, had a fresh hatchery hen to show for their efforts as well as a few other hook ups. Five hours of effort for me landed me nothing but time spent on the "gravel jail." I could've at least used a beer or a snack, but instead it was a another mental test of sorts. Something that I realize most spey fisherman experience during the course of their "education."

Further hoping that all this casting/practice/patience and drinking will eventually pay off.I'm thinking that I'm about due...

No comments:

Post a Comment